Skrillex is undoubtedly one of the biggest artists in the game right now, and rightfully so gets a ton of coverage across all music/news publications. Whether he’s stopping traffic in amsterdam with Diplo, or in the studio with OG Maco, the EDM world is on top of it. One thing that is pretty rare, though, is when Skrillex sits down for an interview; and even more #rare is when he opens up about his personal life within said interview.
Leave it to BBC radio 1’s legendary Annie Mac to get some inside info from Sonny.
Check 5 interesting facts from the Skrillex interview below, and/or listen to the full interview here (starts at 1:32:00).
1. His first London gig was in 2008 at Underworld, coincidentally the same venue where Annie Mac started her DJ career.
2. Similar to other successful musicians like Charlie XCX, Kanye West, and Pharrell; Sonny has synesthesia. He describes seeing music in weird textures and shapes, seeing “Take Ü There” as a light yellow.
3. Sonny’s mother passed away recently. When asked about the emotional roller coaster he’s endured since her passing, he commented, “it’s humbling at the same time, you just wanna be appreciative and live.”
4. He’s always spoken highly of his touring crew, especially his manager Tim Smith. He’s become family with those constantly surrounding him, “That’s everything almost. Aside from the music that I make, the ideas I have, it’s all about the family around you.”
5. Skrillex feels at home on the road. “I feel nomadic, I always have. I like to travel – my greatest ideas come out of me when I’m in the car, or in the airplane, or different environments.”
It’s always great to get an inside look at one of the most successful artists in the game, especially someone as genuine as Sonny Moore. Keep killing the game, Sonny, you deserve it.
STAY IN THE KNOW! SIGN UP FOR THE RUN THE TRAP NEWSLETTER
Adam Hirsch still iBrostep’s from time to time.
Image via Redbull