2017 has been quite the year. We’ve dropped Too Future mixes from a ton of artists from Europe, the U.S., South Korea, and Australia. We’re ending our year with another mix from Down Under, this time inviting legendary duo Peking Duk to throw down for us. They’ve been crushing it by dropping massive originals as well as an official remix for none other than Lorde. Accompanying the hour long mix is an exclusive interview with the duo so you can get to know them a little bit better. Check out both the interview and mix below and gear up for a massive 2018.
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to chat with us. You both come from musical backgrounds of hip-hop and rock.
1. How has the transition from hip-hop MC and bassist for Australian band Rubycon into one of Australia’s most notorious electronic duos, influence the way you both approach music?
Reuben: When we started it was super electronic and had no rock or hip hop influences… After only 2 years though we wanted to start incorporating rock and hip hop ideas into our dance grooves. Now we’ve started trying to forget all about genres in the studio, and in turn we’re making random songs and ideas in every style.
2. What albums or artists shaped your views on music growing up and what artists have an impact on you today?
Adam: Dr Dre’s Chronic 2001 was a huge wake up call in how big and tight a song can knock. Also vibe wise, bands like Megadeth, Pantera and Motorhead were so primal it felt like a whole new realm of how music can be done. Artists like Kanye West and Tiga that constantly push boundaries of what can be done mean a lot to us. If it wasn’t for Kanye I definitely wouldn’t be trying to do any vocals on a track.
3. Your remix of Lorde’s “Perfect Places” was your first remix in 4 years. What was it about “Perfect Places” that inspired you to make a remix after all that time?
Adam: Lorde’s team reached out to us and sent over the parts. As soon as we heard the tune we knew would do a fun flip on it and thought- fuck it why not. It was mostly made on bullet trains around Japan and it came out really fun. A nice sweaty banger for our sets.
4. If you had to describe yourselves and put a label on your sound and shows, what would it be?
Reuben: sweaty, exciting, good times.
5. “Fake Magic” is easily one of my favorite tracks of 2017, what were your favorite parts about making the track and working with AlunaGeorge?
Adam: We’ve always looked up to AlunaGeorge so to be able to work with them was a dream come true. It all came together very naturally and Aluna bodied the vocal. Nothing but love.
6. Earlier this year, you debuted your first live set at Splendor In The Grass and in the recap video Adam talks about “the death of the DJ” and how you’ve both always wanted to take your sets live. What made 2017 the year to make that dream come alive?
Reuben: We honestly still love DJing at afterparties and techno dens. We just wanted to make the Peking Duk show more meaningful and more special for our fans… It’s been a lot of work but we had a good month gap this year to go for it. It takes time to chop synths from our songs and load the instruments into drum racks and keyboards so we needed a good gap of time to pick.
7. What’s the best part about playing live versus DJing and will we see more live performances in the near future?
Adam: Playing live is a million times more fum. Djing doesn’t really feel like a 2 person job and there’s only so many times you can tell people to put their hands in the air. Now playing guitars and keyboards and singing and banging on samplers fills that void and it resonates with the crowd so much more. Soon the whole show will be all live and no djing. We can’t wait to show everyone!
8. What can we expect from your guest mix today and for Peking Duk in 2018?
Reuben: Bangers, and a whole lot more next year.
Catch Peking Duk on tour in January:
Too Future. Guest Mix 095: Peking Duk | Free Download
Peking Duk Ft Icona Pop – Let you down
Krewella – Be There (VICE CITY Remix)
Lil Uzi Vert – Sauce It Up (Adam Bomb Remix)
Avicii ft. Sandro Cavazza Without You (Kameo Remix)
Big SeanQUIX – BOUNCE BACKX RATTRAPS (ILLA EDIT)
Ekali X Boombox Cartel – Wit Babylon (Rattn Edit)
Post Malone – Rockstar ft. 21 Savage (Crankdat Re-Crank)
Cardi B – Bodak Yellow (Nitti Gritti Remix)
Kendrick X Rickyxsan – Insane City (Edit)
Chance The Rapper – No Problem Vs Textures (FOONI EDIT)
Rick Ross X Dabow & Creepa – Trap Frequencies (Edit)
Peking Duk – Say My Name (feat. Benjamin Joseph) [Wuki Remix]
Slumberjack – Paralyse vs Reawaken (Duk Edit)
Kendrick Lamar – Humble Vs Nonsens x Holly – 2 Kill a Stage (Peking Duk Edit)
Peking Duk – Stranger (Blanke Remix)
ID – ID
Kanye West – FML Vs G Buck
Peking Duk – Take me Over Vs (Just a Gent Remix) (Edit)
Travis Scott – Goosebumps (BENZI EDIT)
White Stripes X Eptic X Valentino Khan – Seven Nation Ends Deep (Senor Roar Edit)
Partty Thieves – Chief
Nitti Gritti & Part Native – Snappin’ & Trappin’ Ft. Harvey J
Bingo Players – Devotion (Wuki Bootleg)