It should not come as a shock. Sonny Moore, former screamo front man, turned into the, “American dubstep sensation” best known as Skrillex almost over night and the success and accolades he has experienced have not stopped since he took the throne atop the dance music scene a few short years ago. The Owsla overlord has become the face of American dance music and has held an astronomically monumental role in bringing dance music to the world’s main stage. Between the grip of Grammy awards under his belt, the hugely successful EP releases, the recent success of his own digital subscription service Nest, to bringing up some of the game’s best up-and-coming names on his record imprint Owsla, and Dog Blood; the collaborative side project where he and Boys Noize absolutely murder massive festival hoards, Skrillex is on fire and he does not seem to be cooling off by even a single degree.
The success continues as news recently surfaced that Skrillex’s most recent Essential Mix was confirmed as the most played piece of content in BBC Radio 1 history. Read that again, repeat it out loud. BBC Radio 1 history. For who might need a little background as to what makes this milestone so significant, let me explain just how big this is. Pete Tong, one of the most notable and esteemed dance music pioneers, hosts the Essential Mix radio show, where he premieres some of the biggest tunes in the world, and drops 2 hour mixes from the games best of the best where they play the best of the best. The radio show has an air of prestige as it has been showcasing dance music’s top shelf material for 20 years. Skrillex has conquered the BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix hall of fame, another accomplishment to add to the rapidly growing list. This particular accomplishment should be a true testament to the immense success Sonny Moore is experiencing.
The mix itself is captivating. Skrillex steps behind the tables to deliver an incredibly diverse blend of tunes ranging from new disco, to trap music, acid rap, to dubstep, and back to hip hop. Everything from Kendrick Lamar to Major Lazer, and Destructo to Bro Safari is found in the mix. Plus, a slew of Dog Blood tracks round off the Essential Mix, making for a brain rattling, enlivening, groovy mix that reflects Skrillex’s very best.
Many have criticized Skrillex’s ruthless take over, labeling it as the commercialization of what for so long was considered to be an underground music movement, but that all comes with success. For me, the self-proclaimed biggest Skrillex fan alive, I believe this is nothing short of remarkable. Skrillex has collaborated with everyone from Diplo, to Kanye West, to Disney, he has galvanized colossal crowds and crushed club stages all over the world. He has bent the boundaries of genre, and he has made music he is proud of and people seem to devour as well.
With Dog Blood playing some of the world’s biggest festivals (lets go, Hard Summer), and Skrillex’s highly anticipated collaboration project with Diplo as JackU playing the Mad Decent Block Parties across the countries, there are plenty of reasons to be excited for more Skrillex on everyone’s radar. Big ups to Sonny on such a great success, and we can’t wait to see what he’s got up his sleeve.
Check out the most played Essential Mix of all time right here and let us know what you think:
Skrillex – BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix | Download
Also, feel free to follow me on twitter @daverighteous1 for more good, clean family fun from yours truly.
Skrillex – BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix Track-List
1. Dog Blood – Chella Ride
2. Knife Party – Power Glove
3. Torro Torro x Astronomar – Go Deep
4. Disclosure – When a Fire Starts to Burn
5. Destructo – Higher
6. Blawan – Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage (Skrillex Bootleg)
7. French Fries – D’Angelo x Jeremih – Fuck U all the time
8. Dog Blood – Middle Finger 2
9. AC Slater – Out Here
10. Sluggers – Rollex
11. Culprate ft Torqux – Mc Funk
12. UZ – Trap Shit V13 (Justin Martin Remix)
13. Millions Like Us – Behind You
14. Skrillex – Leaving
15. Deftones – You’ve Seen The Butcher (Mustard Pimp Remix)
16. Boys Noize – Excuse Me
17. Stephen Brown – Fuego (Ben Sims Remix)
18. Branchez – Shake
19. A$AP Rocky – Wild For the Night (Dog Blood Remix)
20. Skrillex & Alvin Risk – Try it Out
21. Skrillex – Scary Bolly Dub
22. Felguk – Loud Blue (12th Planet Remix)
23. Jeremih – 773 Love (Cashmere Cat Edit)
24. Alvin Risk feat Jason Aalon Butler – Put Em Up
25. Blood Diamonds – Barcode (The Widdler Remix)
26. Flux Pavillion and Skism feat Foreign Beggars – Jump Back (VIP)
27. Kendrick Lamar – m.A.A.d city (feat. MC Eiht)
28. Sub Focus – Tidal Wave (Flosstradamus Remix)
29. Josh Wink – Higher State of Consciousness (Dog Blood Edit)
30. Phonat – Ride the Prejudice
31. Bro Safari & UFO! – Animal
32. Dada Life – Boing Clash Boom (Major Lazer Remix)
33. DJPJMADEDISTRACK! – Juke That Ass From The Back
34. Leatherface – No Love for Sluts
35. Orties – Plus pute que toutes les putes (Lecter remix)
36. Valentino Khan – The Dip
37. Bro Safari – The Drop (Must Die Remix)
38. Justin Martin – Ghettos & Gardens (Bachelors Of Science D&B Remix)
39. Skrillex – Untitled DJ Tool
40. A$AP Rocky – LVL